Demolition and Reconstruction
The medieval cathedral had fallen into severe disrepair by the end of the seventeenth century. It was decided that the building was so badly damaged that most of it should be demolished.
In 1735 the 'new' cathedral was completed. This building retained the tower and spire of the old cathedral and was not highly regarded architecturally. It was demolished in the 1860s to make way for the present cathedral.